21 Mar. 2018
The Keewatin-Patricia District School Board has deliberately approached numeracy K-12 with the same strategic planning as it does in other curricular areas. This has resulted in 3 all-encompassing goals that provide direction for the work being done within all elementary and secondary schools.
We have three numeracy goals:
Goal #1 – To improve student achievement in mathematics.
Goal #2 - To build capacity throughout the system regarding the understanding of teaching and learning mathematics.
Goal #3 – To identify and implement effective mathematics instruction Kindergarten to Grade 12
To achieve these goals, several focus areas have been developed for action planning. They include:
- system support and planning,
- acquisition of resources and manipulatives,
- professional development framework (including professional learning community model and differentiated instruction),
- effective implementation of Nelson Math program.
Many in-school and cross panel opportunities have been made for teachers and school administrators to come together to discuss and plan for effective Math instruction. These discussions have also included these key ideas:
- · student learning of Mathematics,
- · Math classroom learning environment, and
- · varied Math assessment opportunities.