12 Oct. 2017
The cost of doing nothing
Our failure to prevent or intervene early in a child’s mental health problems results in:
- Higher K-12 education costs and dramatically lower graduation rates
- Increased use of expensive “deep-end” mental health services
- Increased health care costs
- An increased number of children in the juvenile justice system & other out-of-home placements
- Suicide: the third leading cause of death among children ages 10 and up.
- Adolescent girls aged 15 – 19 having the highest rate of hospital admissions for attempted suicide and self-inflicted injury of any other group.