14 Dec. 2020
NOTICE TO FAMILIES OF KPDSB STUDENTS
Updated Travel Advisory for Students
December 18, 2020
The Northwestern Health Unit (NWHU) has recently updated its travel recommendations (click here to view the media release). As a result, we are updating our Travel Advisory for students.
In the interest of the safety of all students and staff in our schools, we are asking families to please continue to follow the Northwestern Health Unit’s recommendations of avoiding travel. If your child must travel, please be aware of the following information.
Effective today, December 18, 2020, the following travel advisory is now in place for all students learning in-person in our schools/sites.
- Any students who have travelled outside of the province (or the country) should not attend school board properties for 14 calendar days upon their return and must be able to pass Ontario’s school screening toolprior to returning to school.
Travel within Ontario
Using the Ontario COVID-19 zone map as a guide:
- Any students who travel to an area of Ontario in the Grey/Lockdown level of public health measures should not attend school board properties for 14 calendar days upon their return and must be able to pass Ontario’s school screening tool prior to returning to their school. The public health areas that were in the Grey/Lockdown level of public health measures on December 26 prior to the provincial shutdown are below for your reference.
- Windsor-Essex County
- York Region
Families who must travel can take steps to reduce their risk, including:
- Limiting use of public transportation
- Maintaining physical distancing and using a mask
- Avoiding crowded areas
- Not travelling to a community in Grey/Lockdown level of public health measures
- Limiting interactions with others
- Not spending time in a setting that has been declared as an outbreak
- Practicing hand hygiene
If there are extenuating circumstances for your family, you are encouraged to reach out to your school principal to discuss. Academic support will be provided for families whose children are not able to attend school due to this advisory.
We are asking all families to please continue to be mindful that COVID-19 is still with us and that different areas of the province and the country can have different levels of the virus in the community. The health and safety of our students and staff is very important to us and that is why we are taking the protection of our staff and students from the COVID-19 virus seriously. The safest option to prevent the spread is to stay in the area of your home community or to stay in the region as per travel advisories and follow all public health protocols.
If you have any questions regarding this advisory, please reply to this email or contact your school principal.
Thank you for your assistance in protecting the health and safety of our staff and students. Your efforts during these difficult times are appreciated.
Sherri-Lynne Pharand, Director of Education
Cecile Marcino, Chair of the Board